RICHARD GAFFIELD, 8800 SE Causey Loop, Apt M302, Portland, OR 97086 – (347) 525-3378 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary interest is Information Architect, UI/UX Design, Web Design, Branding
Over the past 15 years I’ve delivered UI design, branding graphics, online marketing, mock-ups, user-flows, wire-frames, front-end development, prototyping, etc. I am effective in collaborating with interaction designers, software developers, business analysts and other IT professionals. Showing range as a visual designer, I’ve served clients in various industries: government, higher education, small business, health, communication, direct sales and financial.
My designs shoot for usability, polish and functionality. A true believer in ultra clean and functional design, I prefer minimalism whenever possible, not so focused on being less as being crystal clear, a joy to look at and uniformly easy to use. Understanding technical considerations, I think systematically about creating modular design systems that can be applied to a content management system (CMS), while satisfying stated business requirements.
UI Designer, Graphics and Front-end Development (Freelance), July 2009 thru Present
Cyberpage Design & Development, New York, Portland / DB Consulting Group, Chicago
- Delivered detailed UI design (desktop and mobile) for several small businesses (developed strategy and created sketches, sitemaps, storyboards, wire frames, layouts, mock-ups, background graphics, logos, etc.).
- Clients were restaurants, heating and cooling contractors, hair styling salons, restoration contractors, printers, painters and playwrights.
Assistant to Business Analyst & Functional Lead, Configuration Specialist, Nov 2008 thru July 2009
NYC Department of Education, Educational Services, (SESIS), Brooklyn
- Developed Scope of Project (SOP), Traceability Template and User Interfaces for new application that tracks progress of Special Education students, K-12, using a MS Share Point document management system
- Data mapped student tracking paper forms to existing profiles and databases
- Developed Data Dictionary used by ODS (Operational Data Source) team to combine federated database
Web Specialist, Information Architect, Graphics April thru July 2008
New York City Department of Buildings
- Delivered UI design and documentation for the B-FIRST (Field Inspection Recording and Scheduling Technologies) application for client desktop and mobile devices
- Created logo, producing site maps, wireframes and mock-ups, using VISIO and Adobe CS3 (Fireworks, Photoshop)
- Drafted a style guide that would be used by software developers and IA to maintain the applications
- Developed UI design using functional specifications and technical design artifacts: use-cases, data model diagrams
- Reviewed product with Project Director, Technical Lead and COTS representative.
UI Designer, Front-End Developer, July thru Dec 2007
Federal Reserve Bank of New York
- Delivered UI design, wireframes and documentation for analysis of Information Security Function Intranet
- Built prototype, final templates of the UI and launched the site. HTML/XHTML/CSS that interfaces with ASP.NET
- Designed and developed Web-optimized graphical elements & site navigation
- Created UI artifacts, including prototypes from business and marketing requirement supplied by business leads
- Reviewed product with client stakeholders during weekly meetings.
- Maintenance and usability testing as required after launch
UI Designer, Engineer (Remote), May 2006 thru April 2007 Autumn Technologies, Inc., New York
- Delivered UI design, wireframes, mock-ups and documentation for analysis of real-time communication with and monitoring of an elderly individual by his/her concerned child or health care professional
- Built prototype of the Elderly UI, Concerned User UI and the Administrative UI
- Created UI artifacts, including Web-optimized graphical elements, wireframes, prototypes from business and marketing requirements supplied by software architect and business leads
- Reviewed product with client stakeholders during weekly user review status.
UI Engineer, Aug 2005 thru Feb 2006
Wolters Kluwer, CT Corporation System, Corporate Legal Services
- Delivered user interface design, wireframes, mock-ups and documentation for analysis of real-time corporate annual report Web filing applications and internal workflow tools
- Designed and developed Web-optimized graphical elements & site navigation using Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Visio; coded HTML/XHTML/CSS that interfaces with ASP.NET
- Reviewed product with client stakeholders and met with developers to implement the prototypes.
UI Designer, Developer and Web Graphics (Remote), May 2004 thru July 2005
Avon Products NA
- Developed high-level user requirements, detailed mockups and clickable prototypes that show interaction and design plans.
- Created layouts within an established design aesthetic for variety of projects using Photoshop
- Developed interactive and static Websites using Photoshop, Image Ready, Dreamweaver that interfaces with Interwoven processes on the backend
- Redesigned and hard-coded HTML/DHTML for customer service UI using Photoshop, Homesite
- Created background graphics for sales representatives’ Web sites using Photoshop, Illustrator and Publisher
Web Designer, Developer, Project Manager (Remote), July 2003 thru Feb 2004
Columbia University, English Department, New York
- Designed templates and built prototypes for Department review and approval using Photoshop and Dreamweaver
- Transferred information from old table formatted 80 page site to a new visually exciting presentation of the department’s academic personnel and resources, including student application procedures
- Trained Dept. Secretary to update and maintain entire site.
Freelance Web Designer, Producer and Developer, June 2002 thru June 2003
Owner CyberPage Design & Development, Inc. New York
- Pre-production marketing strategy discussions of brand identity in team analysis setting
- Create original website design, wireframes and mock-ups using Photoshop
- Build and evaluate prototype using Dreamweaver and Illustrator assets
- Launch and host new websites on CyberPage Unix server
- Website marketing, SEO consultancies using Webtrends.
Web Design, Marketing, May 2001 thru June 2002
Wellsley CorporationPre-production marketing strategy discussions of brand identity
Projects included Website design and book editor of Renaissance Series by Laurence Holder; final approval of content and covers of 32 plays in five volumes; responsible for preface and introductions, including writing volume 5 introduction; ongoing communication with on-line publisher.
Sr. Website Developer, Aug 2000 thru May 2001
Trading Technologies, Inc. New York
- Develop, organize, and manage the creative development and overall content of TT internal and external Web sites
- Develop new Website from rebranding to final mock-ups with creative team: SVP mktg, designer, writer, art dir.
- Refresh external Website content to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information and images
- Analyze traffic to external Website using Webtrends and recommend necessary programming changes
- Provide Website technical support and participate in TT employee Website training
- Set-up of Linux 6.0 and Windows 2000 Web testing servers running Apache and ISS
Lehman Brothers (Jan 1996-Aug 2000); Creative Services Computer Graphics Specialist, Adobe Photoshop
CS First Boston (April 1992-Jan 1996); Presentation Specialist, Word Processor, MS Powerpoint, Excel, Word.
Master of Arts/Theater, 1994, State University of New York, Binghamton, New York
Bachelors Degree, 1991, Empire State College, New York, New York
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION
Digital Media Business Strategies & Project Management, Fall 2002, New School University, New York
Web Design Certificate, Spring-Summer 2000, United Digital Artists / New York
Red Harlem Readers, NY, NY Co-founder, Administrator
West Side Arts Coalition, NY, NY Co-founder
Three Rivers Artist Guild, Oregon City, OR
Oregon Society of Artists, Portland, OR